Trumpet Chanterelles

Trumpet Chanterelles
I have fond memories from my childhood when the whole family went out to the forest to pick Prawdziwki (in Polish, Karl Johanssvamp in Swedish and King Bolete or Porcini in English) and other sorts of mushrooms. The Prawdziwek dries very well and is often used in the Polish cuisine, especielly for the different Christmas dishes. We never picked Trumpet Chanterelles, I picked my first one maybe 5 years ago which accidently was a poisonous mushroom very similar to the edible Chanterelle. Luckily I had some Trumpet Chanterell experts with me and they discovered my misstake. I blame it on not having experience picking Trumpet Chanterelles. I only recognize Porcini :-)
The Trumpet Chanterell is a delicious mushroom and in Sweden it can be found in almost all food stores and markets during autumn. If you decide to pick any kind of mushroom in the forest, be careful, preferably take an expert with you so you don’t pick any poisonous one. I picked my Trumpet Chanterelles in the store this time :-) The easiest dish that you can make with them are fried Chanterelles, delicious and easy!

Fried creamy Trumpet Chanterelles

serves 1
    200 gr fresh Trumpet Chanterelles
    butter
    1 small onion, chopped
    200 ml cream
    salt
    pepper
    Clean the Chanterelles by brushing them, don’t wash them. Divide the Trumpet Chanterelles by tearing them apart by hand. Fry them in an empty frying pan, without any butter. Let them fry/cook until all their moisture has evaporated. Now add some butter and some chopped yellow onion. Add 100 ml cream, let the Chanterelles absorb the cream and then add another 100 ml of cream, let absorb again. Add salt and pepper. Serve with cooked potatoes and crisp bread.

7 Responses to “Trumpet Chanterelles”

1. Barbara Fisher
    November 8th, 2005 21:26

I’ve never gathered chanterelles, but I have gone out in search of young puffballs and morels.

Nothing is as good as fried wild mushrooms with cream.

2. chili&vanilia
    November 9th, 2005 00:37

Dagmar, thank you for this recipe, it seems to be a good way to try chanterelles for the very first time..By the way I became I regular visitor of your great site!
    Zsofi from Brussels

November 9th, 2005 16:02

Hi Dagmar – lucky you! I had loads of yellow chantarelles when at home in August, but haven’t come across any (affordable) chantarelles in Edinburgh yet. I totally agree that the best way to eat these is simply fried, although chantarelle quiche is yummy, too..

4. MagicTofu
    November 10th, 2005 05:31

Wow, you are lucky to find these mushrooms so late in the season. Here, in Ottawa (Canada) the mushroom picking season is over now. But I have tons of dried ones, including some of these beautiful trumpet chanterelles. Hope yours were good!

5. boo_licious
    November 10th, 2005 20:22

Dagmar, this weekend we have a special get well edition of WCB. Hope the kitties will join in, you can bring anything to cheer up Clare and Kiri.

6. Anna
    May 30th, 2006 08:21

Australia is sadly lacking in the mushroom department. We get a lot of Asian mushrooms (shitake, enoki, black fungi, oyster etc) but hardly any European styles (like chantrelles, porcini etc). That’s one of the wonderful things about Sweden – great svamp. And also wonderful berries. I was in heaven picking wild blueberries and raspberries on the roadside. They cost about AUD$8 a punnet in Sydney, even in season! That’s around SEK44, EUR5 or USD$6!!!

June 2nd, 2006 18:32

Anna

The European mushrooms are great so I really understand that you miss them. I can’t imagine paying so much for berries!