Oreo Cookies

The Oreo Cookie was introduced in 1912 in the U.S and it quickly became the country’s best selling cookie. Myself I didn’t grow up with Oreo Cookies, I lived happily with other Swedish cookies instead. I never had to argue with my friends how to eat an Oreo Cookie: plain, by twisting off the top and eating the filling first or by dunking them whole in milk . The first time I ever saw and tasted an Oreo Cookie was just a few years ago, and I liked it. I also realized that I had to make up for all (what seems now) empty years without Oreo Cookies. So what’s the problem then? Well, Oreo Cookies were introduced rather late in Sweden, and they still are rare and hard to find. Furthermore they are expensive. So the best thing would be to bake them yourself, and as an extra bonus you get rid of all unnecessary additives. The below recipe is from the lovely book “Två Systrars Söta” by Lisa and Monica Eisenman. According to me and Fredrik, two non-Americans, the cookies tastes almost authentic. I believe that it’s hard to come closer to the original ones.

Oreo Cookies
    (makes 30)

250 gram butter
    50 ml sugar
    1 egg yolk
    240 gram flour
    5 tbsp cocoa
    a pinch of salt
    1 tsp vanilla sugar
    50 gram grated dark chocolate (min. 50 % cocoa content)

FILLING:
    3-4 tbsp double cream / whipping cream
    2 tbsp melted butter
    300 ml icing sugar
    0.5 tsp vanilla sugar

Work the butter and sugar in a food processor. Add the egg yolk.

Combine the dry ingredients and the grated chocolate with the dough. Combine quickly to a smooth dough. Roll the dough to a roll, about 3 cm in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.

Take out the cookie dough from the fridge and cut in thin slices, about 0.5 cm thick. Put the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Put the tray into the fridge for 10 minutes. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool on the baking tray for a few minutes , and then transfer them to a wire rack.

Combine the ingredients for the filling. Spread some filling between 2 cookies, and continue so with the rest of the cookies. They taste best if refrigerated for a while.

21 Responses to “Oreo Cookies”

1. Barbara Fisher
    November 2nd, 2005 04:02

Actually, Dagmar–I think these will likely taste better than the originals.

I grew up eating Oreos, but have discovered recently that I get sick if I eat them. Which is sad–because I like them.

Which means–I will probably try your recipe!

2. LisaSD
    November 2nd, 2005 04:22

Well, now. Don’t those look scrumptious!! Thanks for the recipe!! The worst thing about Oreos is how badly they stick in your teeth. Otherwise, they’re great!

3. Anne
    November 2nd, 2005 06:16

Yum, those look absolutely gorgeous!!

4. Christine
    November 2nd, 2005 18:07

They look great! Never thought of baking my own Oreos but now I might try it this weekend.

November 4th, 2005 12:19

Hi Dagmar – as I’m on a cookie baking mood nowadays, I’ll give your Oreo cookies a go. I didn’t grow up on them, but have tried them couple of times and quite liked it. Which means that I’ll definitely like the homemade version!

6. Lena
    November 4th, 2005 13:43

Mmmm Oreo’s, They look so yummy, I belive I have to try these.

7. Tina - a desert lass
    November 5th, 2005 05:57

Hi, I just stumbled across your Blog, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I am new at blogging, so if my etiquette needs correction PLEASE tell me so.
    I will have to try the oreo recipe on my mother – who would not let me eat them when I was growing up because she thought commercially prepared cookies were unhealthy (she seems to have changed her opinion in the last decade or so).
    I also enjoyed the cat pictures and comments – I have two who do not get along, but both of them like to snuggle and they don’t fight if they are both trying to “pet” me.
    If you like chocolate and coffee, have you ever run into a chocolate espresso cake? It’s my favorite!

November 8th, 2005 20:10

Barbara,

I think that you’re right. And the best part is that they doesn’t still in your teeth as badly as the originals!

Lisa Sd,
    Theese doesn’t stick in your teeth as the real Oreos, perfect!

Anne,
    They are! I really recommend them.

Christine,
    I hope that you tried the recipe and that you liked them.

Pille,
    Good luck baking them! I’m also on a cookie baking mood nowadays, it’s the only thing I do: baking cookies!

Lena,
    They are really nice. I like that the cookies aren’t especielly sweet (apart from the filling).

Tina,
    Hi and welcome!! I hope that your mother will like the homemade Oreos. I love espresso chocolate cake, as a matter of fact I have a recipe on my blog: http://acatinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2005/08/sugar-high-friday-11-coffee-espresso.html

9. Em
    November 10th, 2005 01:45

ymmy!!!

we don’t get Oreos in Australia, I don’t think – unless they are branded differently

must try that recipe

10. jenjen
    July 22nd, 2006 19:15

These look great, I love oreos as well but these actually look better and I know what you mean about the extra additives, that’s why its so much better making your own.

July 24th, 2006 16:37

jenjen,
    Yes, homemade cookies are absolutely the best.

12. Yolla
    April 9th, 2007 12:48

Hello Dagmar,
    I’ve already tried this Oreo recipe and it is really good. Thank you for sharing!

April 11th, 2007 21:06

Yolla: I’m glad that you liked it!!!!

14. Chris
    August 20th, 2007 07:11

i love oreo cookies and your recipe will be perfect!

August 20th, 2007 22:57

Chris: I hope that you’ll like them!

16. toronha
    May 2nd, 2008 03:55

Hello there! I’m Toronha from Japan and I used your oreo cookie recipe as a reference to invent my own oreo recipe.
    Thanks for the idea–it’s great! I love your Japanese-named cats too.
    If you have the chance you should definitely visit my blog (sorry it’s in japanese, but please feel free to write in comments!)

blog site:

my oreo cookie site with SUPER cool pics:

17. sugar fairy
    January 3rd, 2010 20:18

I have to try it! I tried oreo cookies in Australia, and now , in Poland I miss that tase. :]