Rhubarb Muffins with Almond Paste

Mmm, Muffins….

Has the girl gone crazy? Rhubarb and Almond paste? Again? And this time together?
After Fredrik’s post about rhubarb the other day, I recalled that I had some rhubarb in the freezer. And as you’ve noticed I just can’t resist almond paste…
I found a lovely muffins recipe on ICA’s homepage, that I just had to try especially since one of the gifts that I got from my colleagues last week was a muffin tin for giant muffins. The muffins turned out great, but on the other hand rhubarb is great in all shapes and forms :-)

Rhubarb Muffins with Almond Paste

12 normal ones or 6 giant

200 gram rhubarb
75 gram butter
100 ml milk
2 eggs
150 ml demerara sugar
250 ml flour
1.5 tsp baking soda

FILLING:
75 gram almond paste
25 gram butter
0.5 tsp cardamom (I didn’t have any so I used cinnamon instead)

GARNISH:
25 gram almond chips

Rinse and peel the rhubarb, cut it in 1 cm pieces. Melt the butter, add the milk and let it cool. Whip the eggs with the sugar until fluffy. Add the butter and milk. Combine the flour with the baking soda and the rhubarb; add to the egg mixture. Pour the batter two-thirds of the way full into a greased muffin tin or in individual paper forms.

Grate the almond paste. Add butter and cardamom and mix until smooth. Divide the mixture into 6 pieces or small balls, or 12, depending on which tin or forms you use. Squeeze down an almond paste piece in every muffin, but not too deep as it will sink while in the oven. Sprinkle the almond chips over the muffins and bake in 225°C, for about 15-20 minutes depending on your oven!

Here you can see the almond paste kernel and the lovely rhubarb

8 Responses to “Rhubarb Muffins with Almond Paste”

1. Cindy
    October 21st, 2005 09:44

Wahou, those muffins look delicious !

October 22nd, 2005 15:52

Hi Dagmar – I made rhubarb muffins quite a few times earlier this year. They’re some of my favourite muffins, as I like the slight tartness and moistness rhubarb provides. My recipe was really easy though, and next year I might just try to “posh them up” with a bit of marcipan – sounds like a marriage made in heaven! Thanks!

3. Helen
    October 25th, 2005 17:31

Hi Dagmar,

I just found your wonderful blog. It was your picture or Chlodnik at “Does my blog look good in this?” that lead me to it. It’s great to see eastern european dishes. I am Russian, but have been living in US since I was little, so I mostly cook French, Italian, and Mediterranean, but lately I’ve been having a great time exploring Russian foods (particularly soups and pirozhki). I love the cold borsh (russian version of chlodnic) and I finally got my husband (he is American) to eat beets this summer, so it’s been my favorite soup to make. Your rubharb muffins look great. I’ll have to try them sometimes.

Cheers,
    -Helen

October 26th, 2005 13:57

Cindy,
    The muffins dissapeared in no time at all :-)

Pille,
    I try to add marcipan or almond paste in all my cakes :-)

Helen,
    Hi and welcome Helen. My boyfriend likes the warm barszcz (borsh) that we eat for Christmas, but normally he’s not that fond of beets :-) What is it with men and easter european dishes? :-)

5. Miranda
    June 5th, 2007 14:55

Hi, last week I accidentily stumbled onto your website and I’ve already visited it a hundred times since then. I love it! It looks great and the recipes I’v tried so far are even greater. These rhubarb muffins are next on my list. I’ve already bought the rhubarb this morning. I can’t wait until they are done!!!

June 5th, 2007 21:29

Miranda,
    Welcome! It’s funny as I actually was thinking about baking these muffins (which I havn’t done since I blogged about them), before even reading your comment :-) Good luck, I hope that you’ll like them!

7. Codik
    September 19th, 2009 22:02

Достойный внимания блог, продолжайту в том же духе.

8. Chung Karel
    March 3rd, 2010 00:11

Lots of Fantastic information in your post, I favorited your site so I can visit again in the near future, Thanks, Chung Karel