Tiramisù Cheesecake (updated…)

Yesterday when I started to bake the Tiramisù Cheesecake from Maxine Clark’s book Cheesecakes I was so excited, it was going to be perfect. I bought the book just the other day and finally decided to try the Tiramisù Cheesecake. Today, after tasting it, I’m dissapointed. Have you ever baked or cooked something that you had high expectations of that didn’t turn out that great? Well, then you understand how I feel. I love cheesecakes, both cold and baked ones. This could be perfect, but the chocolate that I used was too dark and too bitter (72 % cocoa) for this recipe. Honestly I don’t even like dark chocolate, I’m like a kid and only eat milk chocolate. But even Fredrik, aka the chocolate lover, thinks that the chocolate used for the cheesecake doesn’t fit. One other negative thing was the Philadelphia cheese, I discovered that I don’t like Philadelphia cheese in cheesecakes, I think that it’s too salty. I prefer “natural” fresh cheese, like Swedish Kesella (quark) or Italian Mascarpone. I know that many people use Philadelphia cheese in cheesecakes, but I don’t think that I will use it more times (exept for bagels and sandwiches of course), it’s something with the taste and the salt. The texture of the cheesecake is perfect, but as I wrote earlier it’s just too bitter. I’m sorry, but I wont’ share this recipe with you. Maybe I’ll modify it and give it a new try some other time. But at least the cheesecake looks pretty.

Updated September 2nd 2005:
I just thought that I would add some words about me not liking cream cheese/Philadelphia cheese in Cheesecakes. There’s a big difference between American and eastern European Cheesecakes. The American ones are generally made with cream cheese. The eastern European ones have always traditionally been made with quark. Quark is white fresh cheese which is mildly tangy, smooth and creamy.

I was born in Sweden but my parents are from Poland, so I am raised with typical Polish food, but my mother also loved to experiment and try other culture’s recipes. When I was young, my mother made her own quark that she used in all cheesecakes that she made. Nowadays she uses the Swedish quark Kesella instead, as it’s much easier. I am used to, and truly love thoose quark cheesecakes. There’s a big difference in taste depending on which kind of cheese you use, and I just prefer the quark version.

15 Responses to “Tiramisù Cheesecake (updated…)”

1. Anonymous
    September 1st, 2005 22:27

This post has been removed by a blog administrator.

2. Anne
    September 2nd, 2005 06:06

Aww. It looked so promising! :(

3. Anonymous
    September 2nd, 2005 09:13

the cake looks absolutely beautiful! what is the tiramisu part of it?

you don’t like philadelhia in cheese cake? that is what usually goes in it! i love dark chocolat and the tart taste of philadelphia is perfect in anything i think, so please do post the recipe!

September 2nd, 2005 10:31

Hi Anne and anonymous,

I have updated the post now as I wasn’t clear enough about the philadelphia cheese.

I will try to post the recipe during the weekend. About the tiramisù part; in the chocolate layer there’s chocolate, espresso coffee and coffee liquer. The bottom is made of a kind of biscotti.

September 2nd, 2005 11:01

Sorry it didn’t work, Dagmar – it did look very promising when baking in the oven. And I do like the cake’s zebra-esque look on the lower picture.
    I am looking forward to the recipe however!

6. Catesa
    September 2nd, 2005 13:18

it did turn out beautifully, too bad it was disappointing.
    i also love cheesecake and have tried from different countries, the Dutch kwarktaart and the German baked cheesecake-as you said EU uses quark- and they are much nicer than the typical American cheesecakes which i find too rich/heavy for most occassions, 1 tiny piece or just a few bites is sufficient but when its made with kwark eating the whole cake is good because its so light and fluffy :)

7. Em
    September 2nd, 2005 13:31

I love your blog! It’s making me hungry! Sorry it didn’t turn out

I know the feeling!

8. Ilva
    September 2nd, 2005 14:01

I think ricotta is a nice cheese for cheesecakes.

9. Joe
    September 2nd, 2005 16:05

Sorry to hear it was disappointing – it looks wonderful though!

10. cookie jill
    September 3rd, 2005 05:23

I challenge other food bloggers to give aid to those who worked in the food industry and made New Orleans so flavorful:

New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund A fund has been established to benefit employees of the hospitality industry of the Greater New Orleans area who have experienced hardships because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Contributions may be sent to:

New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund
    Greater Houston Community Foundation
    4550 Post Oak Place, Suite 100
    Houston, TX 77027
    Call 713-333-2200 for additional information

11. angelika
    September 6th, 2005 22:21

Hi Dagmar, I do share your opinion. As an Austrian I am also used to curd (quark,we here call it “Topfen”)and as an Italy-lover I also prefer ricotta , depending on the recipe and its origin. It was the first time in my life yesterday that I used philadelphia cheese in a cake and I was curious because I had read your post before. What can I tell you – much too rich, much too salty, not smooth enough… o.k., let us stick to what goes back to our childhood, at least in this case ! And the baking traditions of our Central European countries are not the worst, right ? Kind regards angelika

September 7th, 2005 19:59

Pille, Em and Joe,
    Thanks :-) Yes, it does look quite nice doesn’t it? :-)

Ilva,
    I will try to use ricotta some day.

Catesa and Angelika,
    I’m glad that I’m not the only one prefering quark :-)

13. Marion
    August 23rd, 2009 01:34

I am so glad you mentioned using Quark in cheesecake. I had an English recipe using Mascarpone,but when I made it using organic Italian made Mascarpone there was a bitter taste. That was before I added the lemon juice so it must be the cheese as the only other ingredient was icing sugar (apart from the base of digestive biscuit ,US graham cracker)!
    Your preference is much better & healthier.
    Best regards.