Quick and Easy Langos

Langos with sour cream, chopped red onion and grated Västerbotten cheese.

Langos is a kind of bread, or actually deep-fried bread puffs. They are originally from Hungary and they are always for sale at festivals and events in Sweden. They are very popular and people stand in long queues to buy one instead of a boring hot dog or hamburger. You can choose between various toppings and I always choose sour cream, grated cheese and chopped red onion. They are really delicious. When I was a kid my mother used to deep-fry dough, long before we knew about Langos. Yesterday I was very hungry and didn’t know what to eat for dinner when I realized that I had yeast and sour cream in the fridge. So I dediced to do Langos. Real Langos contains cooked potato, but my Mother always used normal bread dough and so did I.

Quick and easy Langos

25 gr fresh yeast
250 ml lukewarm water
~500 ml flour
salt

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add flour and salt, combine to a flexible dough. Add more flour if needed. Let the dough rise for 10-15 minutes.

Take a piece of dough and roll it out to a rather thin oval. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Heat oil in a pan and fry each Langos separately until both sides turn golden brown. Serve the Langos with sour cream, grated cheese and chopped onion.

7 Responses to “Quick and Easy Langos”

1. Cissi
    August 24th, 2005 21:54

Åh langos är verkligen jättegott och det var längesedan vi hade det här hemma… Enligt mitt tycke missar du dock den allra viktigaste smaksättaren, nämligen att pensla med vitlökssmör innan det andra gucket åker på. Extra gott är det dessutom med lite svart kaviar på toppen! Mums!

August 24th, 2005 22:02

Hej Cissi,

Jo, jag antar att jag begår en dödssynd genom att inte pensla med vitlökssmör… Men det är supergott ändå :-) Och så slipper man vitlöksandedräkten sen (fast lök luktar ju också förstås…) :-D

3. OsloFoodie
    August 25th, 2005 15:58

Dagmar, this looks like something that I would love to eat. And the choices of toppings would be endless but I think simplicity is the way to go :).

4. Nefritite
    August 27th, 2005 15:51

Hej Dagmar,
    I really like your blog and the recipes, I got a lot of inspiration from reading them and I shall be back :)

Anita

August 31st, 2005 13:38

Oslofoodie,
    Yes, the choice of toppings is endless, but as you I prefer simplicity.

Nefritite,
    Thanks!!! I’m really glad that you like the blog (I can’t believe that anyone is reading it though… :-)

6. Tanja
    December 3rd, 2005 20:55

Mmmm langos is SO good. I’m actually making langos tonight although this time we will serve it with creme fraiche, smoked salmon and finely chopped red onion and boiled eggs. YUMMY, beats tacos every time ;)

December 4th, 2005 17:29

Tanja,

Yes, langos are really yummy. Hmm, maybe that could be our dinner tonight…