Rhubarb Syrup

Rhubarb Syrup

What to do with all lovely rhubarb after all different pies and jams that I’ve made? What about Rhubarb syrup for refreshing drinks in the summer? For children, add water to the syrup and all adults feel free to mix it with vodka instead :-)

Rhubarb syrup
    (makes about one bottle, 0,4 litre)

0.5 kg rhubarb (trimmed and well washed)
    1.75 dl water
    500 grams of sugar for each litre of syrup
    1 tsp vanilla essenced sugar (or a small piece of a vanilla pod, as usual I didn’t have any at home).
    1 tsp citrid acid

Cut the rhubarb in small pieces and boil it with the water for about 10 minutes, until the rhubarb becomes really soft. Strain the mixture through a clean kitchen towel. Measure the rhubarb syrup and add sugar. In my case I got 3.75 deciliters of liquid and therefore I used 190 gram sugar ( 500/10 = 50 gram per deciliter –> 50 * 3.75 = 187. 50 grams sugar). Add citrid acid and bring everything to boil, let it simmer for 5 minutes. Skim the foam from the surface and pour the syrup into a hot and sterilised bottle. Keep the syrup in the fridge. When thirsty, pour some of the syrup in a glass and add water and ice, or mix it with something stronger….

19 Responses to “Rhubarb Syrup”

1. Barbara Fisher
    June 28th, 2005 02:17

Dagmar–that syrup is really, really pretty. I bet it tastes lovely, too. One could use it to make a cordial, if one wanted.

2. keiko
    June 28th, 2005 13:34

Hi Dagmar – such a beautiful colour. It must taste so delicate as well. I like the view from the window too, is that your new house?

3. Elvira
    June 28th, 2005 21:06

So refreshing for the summer!

4. Jennifer
    June 28th, 2005 21:07

I love rhubarb soda! When I lived in Oslo, Solo made a rhubarb soda but it has now been discontinued. Do you have something similar in Sweden?

5. Pussy Lover
    June 30th, 2005 22:47

I totally enjoyed reading your blog! And the photos are simply awesome. May I know what camera you’re using in taking your food pictures? There’s so many digital cameras available but it’s always the users who give the best advice:) Thanks in advance for your input and more power to you.

July 3rd, 2005 13:32

Barbara,

Could you please help me explaining what cordial is? According to my dictionary it’s fruit juice? In Sweden it’s very common with “saft”, which is fruit syrop to use with water for refreshing drinks.

Keiko,

Yes the view is from our new central flat. The view isn’t so pretty but the location is in the middle of central Gothenburg, but still on a calm street. Most important is that there are only companies in the opposite block, so they go home when we come home after work :-)

Jennifer,

Hmmm. I’ve never seen it in Sweden… but it sounds really tasty.

Pussy lover,

Thank you :-) The camera is really old but it works well :-) It’s a Olympus Camedia C-3020 with 3.2 megapixels

7. johanna
    July 9th, 2005 20:16

i absolutely adore rhubarb too… can’t get enough of it. wen i saw your rcipe this morning, i bought some immediately and i will try your recipe tonight. and i will completely indulge by adding some to a glass of champagne – i usually use elderflower syrup (post to follow shortly), but a rhubarb version sounds really tempting too!

July 11th, 2005 21:46

Johanna,
    Champagne with rhubarb syrup sounds really tempting!

9. Cheryl
    May 8th, 2008 04:22

Dagmar!

How wonderful! I was looking for a rhubarb saft recipe! I worked on a dairy farm in Nykoping for 6 months, many years ago while I was still in college. My colleagues served rhubarb saft regularly all summer long. It was glorious. Can’t wait to try your recipe.

Is there a chance that you have a recipe for Limpia bread? I loved eating that with butter and cheese in the morning with tea….. ah Sweden!

May 8th, 2008 11:22

Cheryl: I hope you’ll like it!! Unfortunately I don’t have any recipe for limpa (I guess you want the quite sweet rye bread?) but maybe this could be something good? http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t–2235/swedish-rye-bread-limpa.asp

11. ptasia
    May 11th, 2008 13:17

Hej Dagmar, dziękuje za przepis – zrobiłam, efekty widać tu:
    Pozdrawiam!

May 13th, 2008 09:09

Ptasia: Bardzo sie ciesze ze smakowalo!!

13. Kari
    May 19th, 2008 21:58

How long does the syrup keep in the fridge? A couple of weeks? Any ideas for longer-term storage?

14. Claire
    November 13th, 2008 11:44

Thank you for this recipe! I am going to make it tomorrow & mix it with champagne or prosecco.

15. Cheryl
    May 13th, 2009 22:17

Well, hello, a year later! The saft was perfect, and lasted several months in the refrigerator until the last drip was drank. I made saft lovers of my family. We had to get some of the lignonberry saft IKEA has for the winter. Today, I plan to start my bottling of this year’s bumper crop of rhubarb. I’m planning to try canning it, so I don’t have to waste refrigerator space. Have you ever tried this?

16. Faster-philip
    May 17th, 2009 21:02

Hi, i often make rhubarb syrup too, buuut i use it with a swedish vodka called Pinky, which is made almost like gin, with wild strawberries and viols and roseleafs. i shake the vodka and syrup in a cocktail shaker with alot of ice, and strain it into martini glass. its so good, REALLY!! But mainly i use the syrup as a base in my frozen strawberry daiquries, the rhubarb and strawberries go very well together, and with pinky or seriously vodka it just bliss. Nice blog Dagmar
    Best regards Faster Philip