SHF#9 Tantalizing Titillating Tempting Tarts: Passion Fruit Tart

Friday means fredagsfika at work. We hardly ever have any coffee breaks at work, everybody always drink their coffee or tea by the computer. On fridays though, we have fredagsfika. Every friday somebody is responsible to bake/buy cakes or something sweet to the coffee break that we have together once a week. As today is Sugar High Friday with the theme tarts and it was my turn to bake for the fredagsfika, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone (this expression sounds so brutal in English… In Swedish it is “hit two flies in one swap”..But this isn’t any language blog even though it’s very interesting..). Anyway, the host of Sugar High Friday 9 is My life in flow and the theme is tarts, tantalizing titillating tempting tarts. I made a delicious tart with strawberry and rhubarb cream and vanilla custard for the French food blog event Blog Appétit last week, and for this event I decided for a tart with passion fruit. I found the recipe in a swedish magazine that I get every now and then from the food company ICA. For the fredagsfika I also baked Nigella’s rhubarb cornmeal cake, that I also made last month. The passion fruit tart is really tasty and refreshing, both sweet and tart.

As I had the tart with me to work, I used a disposable pan.
    Passion Fruit Tart (from Buffé issue 5 2005)

3 dl flour

2 tbsp flour
    1 tsp vanilla sugar
    zest and juice from 1 lime

Garnish:
    2 passion friuts
    icing sugar

Combine the flour, sugar and butter to a grainy mixture. Add the egg yolk, work into the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Knead briefly and press the dough over the bottom and sides of a tart pan. Place the pan in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 200 °C. Beat the eggs and the sugar until light. Add the passion fruit flesh and the remaing ingredients. Pour the filling into the crust. Bake in the bottom part of the oven for about 30 minutes. Let the tart cool and then garnish with passion fruit and icing sugar.

9 Responses to “SHF#9 Tantalizing Titillating Tempting Tarts: Passion Fruit Tart”

1. Anne
    June 17th, 2005 10:54

Oh, cool! I was going to make that for the forumfika I hosted a few weeks ago, but never got around to it. I want to try it.. but the sad truth is that I’m not so fond of pie dough. The filling sounds amazing though, so I might have to try that but maybe with some different kind of shell.

2. Nic
    June 17th, 2005 15:47

Passion fruit is so refreshing – this tart looks beautiful as well as tasty.

3. Jennifer
    June 17th, 2005 17:36

What a spectacular idea – I think I am going to propose fredagsfika to everyone here in my office/clinic sometime soon. Of course I bring in sweets a lot as it is…but a specific day where we all drink coffee and eat sweets together? FUN!

Thanks for joining in on SHF – this passion fruit tart looks and sounds truly delectable.

4. Elvira
    June 17th, 2005 18:04

Cela a l’air vraiment gourmand et délicieux. Bravo!

5. chef 'em out
    June 17th, 2005 18:06

Is the cat you are holding realy that blue?

6. sarah
    June 20th, 2005 21:41

meow!

goodness, who would have ever thought such a wicked looking thing on the outside would be so amazingly delicious on the inside! passionfruit…

your tart sounds delish!

7. Dreska
    June 20th, 2005 22:47

Sounds super!
    I looked at your sweedish site with your cats’ pictures/ They are adorable! The pics are great. Some of them made me laugh.Really good.

June 23rd, 2005 23:20

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments! :-)

Anne, I’m sure that you can do another shell for the pie.

Jennifer, that sounds great :-) If you decide for another day than friday you can just remove the word “fredag” as it means friday. So just call it fika or friday fika or thursday fika or what ever :-)

chef’em out,
    The cat is blue, it’s a British Shorthair. I havn’t manipulated the photo, it’s only the background and myself that are changed to black and white.