Now what starts with the letter C?

Cookie Monster
(image from Sesame Street Encyclopedia)
Now what starts with the letter C?
Cookie starts with C !
Let’s think of other things that starts with C
Oh, who cares about the other things?

C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me

Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C

C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me

Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C

Hey you know what?
A round cookie with one bite out of it
looks like a C
A round donut with one bite out of it
also looks like a C
But it is not as good as a cookie
Oh and the moon sometimes looks like a C
But you can’t eat that, so …

C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me, yeah!
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me

Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C, yeah!
Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C, oh boy!
Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C!

(“C is for Cookie”, Cookie Monster)

We all love cookies, at least I do and Zarah Maria at Food & Thoughts… :-) I tried and adapted the below recipe (found at Kakakademin, the recipe there says more dark chocolate and no Smarties though) last Friday while I was waiting for Fredrik to arrive from Stockholm. So with some support from Dean Martin and his best of album i baked cookies and also tried a vegetarian recipe from a book that I bought on the special “bokrea” (book sale) that we always have in Sweden in February. It’s a rather big event here and a great opportunity to buy new cook books even if I only bought one this year, “New Vegetarian: Bold and Beautiful Recipes for Every Occasion” by Celia Brooks Brown, but more on that in a future post.

Chocolate Chip Cookies 24 large ones
100 g butter, softened
2 deciliter sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
4 tbsp milk
2 eggs
2 1/2 deciliter wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate
200 g dark chocolate, chopped
100 g walnuts, chopped
38 g (a small tube) Smarties, chopped
4 deciliter rolled oats

Mix the sugar and butter until white and porous. Add vanilla sugar and milk during mixing. Then add the eggs, one at a time while you continue mixing. Blend the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate in a separate bowl and then combine it with the sugar and butter mix. Add the rest of the ingredients. The cookie mixture will at this point be very hard to stir, but it’s supposed to be like that.

Cover two baking sheets with cookie sheets. Place 12 spoonfuls of the cookie mixture on each baking sheet, it’s important that you allow room for the cookies to spread. Bake the cookies (one sheet at a time) in the oven for 12 minutes in 225 C. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.

Now pour yourself a big glass of cold milk and enjoy the cookies, but watch out for any cookie monsters! :-)

11 Responses to “Now what starts with the letter C?”

1. tanvi
    March 12th, 2005 05:59

hey dagmar-
    these look superb. i love smarties! its too bad we dont get them here. perhaps ill substitute m&ms though smarties are clearly far superior.

-tanvi fromthepantry.blogspot.com

2. tanvi
    March 12th, 2005 06:00

This post has been removed by the author.

3. Barbara Fisher
    March 13th, 2005 19:30

I add crushed Heath bars to my chocolate chip cookies–Heath bars are crunchy, buttery almond toffee coated with milk chocolate. I also use milk chocolate chips in mine, and add espresso powder and cinnamon to the dough. It mixes it all up a bit and gives the cookies a rich depth of flavor.

4. Zarah Maria
    March 14th, 2005 13:00

Oh they look so good Dagmar… Mmmm, cookies. I’m a big fan of Celia Brooks Brown, her books are great! I’ve made so many things fromthat one – the parmesan patties, yum!

March 15th, 2005 09:18

Tanvi,
    We have both Smarties and M&Ms here, and also a Swedish (or Nordic) variant called Nonstop. But I’ve never compared them… I think it’s time for me to compare them and appoint a winner :-)

Barbara,
    We don’t have Heath bars here, but I will see if I can substitute it with something similiar becuase your recipe sounds really yummy!!!

Zarah Maria,
    I didn’t saw your entry until i wanted to post this reply. It doesn’t show up on the normal comments page…
    Anyway, I totally agree about the book. I will buy more of her books, but first I want to try her banana cheesecake :-) Have you tried it?

6. Anonymous
    March 15th, 2005 09:18

Hi, this has nothing to do with chocolate chip cookies but what do lignonberries taste like? There is imported jam at the store but it’s really expensive. Is it a very unique sort of taste? Worth the splurge, you think? Thanks.

March 15th, 2005 09:36

Anonymous,
    Lingonberries taste very acid and have a tangy taste. I Sweden you eat Lingonberry jam as a accessory to meatballs, but also with oat porridge and other dishes.
    I like the jam but it’s not my favourite one. It’s hard for me to say if you should buy it or not.
    Myself I love to experiment and try new things. Maybe you can search on google for some ideas what to do with the jam before you decide.

8. Barbara Fisher
    March 17th, 2005 21:46

Hello, Dagmar–

I tell you what: after I move, I will do a post about my chocolate chip cookies and put the full recipe up for you. Since you cannot get Heath bars, what you can do is use any crispy butter and almond toffee instead. I am sure that you have something toffee-like in the candy department. Just crush it up into small pieces and use it like I use the Heath bars.

9. Anonymous
    March 28th, 2005 04:34

Hello Dagmar,

The cookies looked good enough to eat……can you provide more info on how to the measurement of deciliter in your recipes, could it be known also as cup measurement.

Thanks & bye for now.

March 29th, 2005 10:52

Barbara,
    I’m looking forward to your cookie recipe :-)

Anonymous,
    1 deciliter = 0.4226753 cup [US]
    Good luck with the baking :-)

11. Freezer Food