Paper Chef February: Hot Fish Curry and Naan Bread

Hot Fish Curry and Naan Bread

Paper Chef is Owen at Tomatillo’s version of the Iron Chef. Compulsory ingredients (drawn from ingredients suggested by other food bloggers) are posted on a certain date and you need to cook a dish, containing the chosen ingredients, during the same weekend and then post it in your blog. This is my first participation in Paper Chef and I was very happy to hear this month’s ingredients: wheat flour, cinnamon, crème fraiche and oranges. I guess that most food bloggers will go for a dessert, but I immediately came to think about Indian food which I love very much, so I thought that I would do some kind of curry. The fish curry that I made today together with Fredrik was my best made curry dish ever (and my first one containing fish) , and it was even better than many dishes that I’ve had at Indian restaurants in Sweden. I will definately make it more times as is was very delicous; creamy and spicy. Unlike the fish curry, I used a ready recipe for the Naan bread as I didn’t want to experiment with the bread.

Fish Curry

400 gram Hoki fish, diced
3 Shallot Onions, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 Lemon Grass Stalk, shredded
2.25 tsp “Delicious Maldive Curry” (bought in the Maldives, December last year)
0.5 tsp Cinnamon
1.25 tsp Garam Masala (spice that contains cinnamon, cardamom, clove etc)
0.5 tsp Sweet Pepper powder
0.5 tsp Curcuma
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
200 milliliters Crème Fraiche
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp Sharwood’s Tandori Curry Paste
1 tsp salt

fish marinade:
juice from 0.5 lime
juice from 0.5 large orange
2.5 tsp finely chopped fresh hot pepper

Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl, add the fish and put it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

Fry the Shallot onions, garlic and the spices . Add the tomatoes and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the Crème Fraiche and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. Add more spices, if necessary. At this point you can put the Naan breads in the owen (see below). Add the fish and some of the hot pepper in the marinade leaving the citrus juice, simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is done. Serve with Basmati rice and newly-baked Naan bread.

Naan Bread

500 gram wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp bicarbonate
1 tsp salt
1 egg, whipped
2 cl butter, melted
125 milliliters natural yoghurt
200 milliliters milk
melted butter to brush on the bread
water to brush on the bread

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate. Add egg, butter and yoghurt. Add the milk, gradually, forming a soft dough. Cover the dough with a moist kitchen towel and let it rest on warm place for 2 hours. Knead the dough until it’s smooth. Divide the dough in 8 pieces and roll out every piece to a 15 centimeter oval. Brush with water and put the moist side down on a greased baking tin. Brush the top with melted butter. Bake in the oven, rather high, for 5 minutes in 225 degrees Celsius. Brush on more butter and serve directly.

11 Responses to “Paper Chef February: Hot Fish Curry and Naan Bread”

1. Anne
    February 6th, 2005 11:27

Exciting! I didn’t even manage to catch the Paper Chef announcement this time. Oh well. And now, up to elbows in yeasty layer dough, it’s not going to be a Paper Chef entry, too :)

I’m pretty excited about my dough though! Sure, it’s risen to enormous proportions, but it’s very soft and pliable, and I’ve just done the first turn with butter. (First out of four.) We’ll see! I was going to make Wienerbrod, but I’m not really a fan. Chocolate is much more my thing, so with some luck.. Good thing other people are bringing stuff for the Forumfika too, and I have some leftover cinnamon buns. We won’t starve! :)

2. Barbara Fisher
    February 7th, 2005 07:24

Looking tasty, Dagmar!

I missed the announcement for Paper Chef–I am up to my elbows in boxes with packing to move.

I think I might wait to join in the Paper Chef games until after we are moved and settled, sometime in April….gah.

3. kissekatten
    February 7th, 2005 09:42

This post has been removed by the author.

4. kissekatten
    February 7th, 2005 09:43

Anne, I hope the dough and the Wienerbrod turned out well. I’m thinking of doing Wienersemlor, even though I prefer the usual ones. But if SHF 5 says puff pastry, then it will be puff pastry :-)

Barbara, moving and packing is so boring and time demanding. We’re moving in June and I’m not looking forward moving/packing, but I’m very pleased with the new appartment and kitchen! I wish you all luck with the move and I hope you will enjoy your new home. Paper Chef and all other online events will wait for you until you have time again.

5. keiko
    February 7th, 2005 15:04

Hi Dagmar – I’ve been enjoying your blog, they all look delicious! And of course your cat looks so pretty! I’ve put a link to your site, I hope you wouldn’t mind.

6. Sam Breach (Sixy Beast)
    February 7th, 2005 19:54

The fish curry sounds delicious and looks really pretty too. Explain one thing to me though – I never understood how a vegetarian could get away with eating fish…?

7. kissekatten
    February 8th, 2005 09:01

Keiko,
    Thank you, I think that your blog looks wonderful. The photos are brilliant.

Sam,
    There are a lot of “vegetarian definitions”, some more or less incorrect: Vegan, Vegetarian, Lacto Vegetarian, Ovo Vegetarian, Lacto Ovo Vegetarian, Semi Vegetarian, Demi Vegetarian etc. Some people call them selves Semi or Demi Vegetarians to clarify that they eat fish apart from the vegetables (I think even chicken in some cases). My opionion is that no kind of meat is a part of a vegetarian diet, so I often refer myself as a Lacto Ovo Vegetarian that however also eats fish. That is to say, I’m not really a vegetarian. Not as long as I eat meat (= fish in my case), but people tend to classify everything and therefore I’ve put myself in this group. If I exclude “Lacto Ovo Vegetarian” from my diet name, people think that I eat all meat and thus they serve me that.

8. Jennifer
    February 8th, 2005 16:16

Dagmar, this dish looks really quite delicious. Hearty and sweet but light and savory at the same time. Yum. I love it! If only I could taste it!

9. Sam Breach (Sixy Beast)
    February 8th, 2005 16:29

thanks for the heads up kissekatten.
    i hope try your curry sometime :)

10. Sinistra
    November 20th, 2006 12:23

Dag, ależ sliczny talerz! Ten ośmioboczny. Teraz żałuję, że nie przywiozłam sobie takiego z Tunezji.

Hi hi hi, właściwie to nie lubię czytać blogów. Nawet kulinarnych. Twój jest jakiś wyjątkowy, z przyjemnością do niego zaglądam

November 20th, 2006 23:25

Sinistra: Talerze juz niestety nie mamy bo zrobiliszmy duzy porzadek przy ostatniej przyprowadce. Ale i tak dziekuje :-)
    Dzieki tez za komplement blogu. Bardzo zapraszam :-)